The invitation to the Senior 5 Nations competition has been received by Welsh Fencing. The event is taking place on Saturday 18th November.
Selection for this event falls under the recently updated selection policy, and this announcement will confirm the details of the process.
- The selection point (date at which future events results will not be included in the rankings) for this event will align with the start of the 2023/24 season which is 1st August 2023.
- As per the policy, selection will be performed in a 2-stage process, with the aim for selections to be announced within 2 weeks of the selection point to allow sufficient time for logistical and financial planning for fencers and Welsh Fencing.
- Fencers will be recommended to the selectors by the ADP coaches: Fran Whalley, Mike Evans-Jones, John Rees, Dan Robinson
- Selection will be done by the remainder of the board members not involved in the first stage: Matt Russell, Lyn Robinson, Caroline Wheeler, Tania Craig, Elaine Corcoran, Marc Burkhalter
- An independent observer will also be invited to the selection meeting. They will review the nominations and check that the selection policy has been correctly followed. Ellen Todd from Sport Wales has kindly agreed to fulfil this role.
The approach to this team event is to send the strongest team available.
Please note that travel to the event is required on Friday 17th and return travel is planned for Sunday 19th. Welsh Fencing are looking at options to minimise travel costs. Rooms will be booked on behalf of the team for 2 nights, and our intention is for a team manager to support the team with a coach for each weapon.
Please address any queries to firstname.lastname@example.org